Tyler, Texas-The U of O men's tennis team's spectacular season came to an end after dropping its semi-final match against Mary Hardin-Baylor 5-2 Friday in the American Southwest Conference Tournament.
Under interim head coach Michael Skimbo, the Eagles finish the season with a 11-5 overall record. The senior class of Todd Turner, Bishop Bass, Corey Dillard and Greg Knaggs finish their careers as the winningest class in program history. Ozarks posted four consecutive winning seasons and qualified for the post-season twice over the last four seasons. The group led Ozarks to an overall record of 44-19 the last four seasons.
Against Mary Hardin-Baylor (11-3), the No. 1 seed from the West Division, Ozarks dropped two of its three doubles matches to begin the day. From there, Mary Hardin-Baylor secured wins at No. 1 and No. 5 singles to seize control of the match. UMHB then won at No. 3 singles to advance to the ASC Championship match and eliminate Ozarks.
Doubles partners Jacob Organ and Corey Dillard were victorious at No. 3 with a 9-7 win. In singles, Spencer Turner won at the No. 6 position 6-1, 6-2.
1. Scott Wilding (UMHB) def. Todd Turner (UO) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jacob Stamps (UMHB) vs. Bishop Bass (UO) 6-2, unfinished
3. Mark Johnson (UMHB) def. Greg Knaggs (UO) 6-4, 6-1
4. Brendan Thompson (UMHB) vs. Corey Dillard (UO) 7-5, unfinished
5. John Martin (UMHB) def. Trevor Scott (UO) 6-4, 6-1
6. Spencer Turner (UO) def. Tevin Ogo (UMHB) 6-1, 6-2
1. Scott Wilding/Jacob Stamps (UMHB) def. Todd Turner/Bishop Bass (UO) 8-4
2. Mark Johnson/Brendan Thompson (UMHB) def. Trevor Scott/Greg Knaggs (UO) 8-4
3. Jacob Organ/Corey Dillard (UO) def. John Martin/Tevin Ogo (UMHB) 9-7