NCAA Division III Philosophy
Academics are the primary focus for Division III
student-athletes. The division minimizes the conflicts between
athletics and academics and keeps student-athletes on a path to
graduation through shorter practice and playing seasons, the number
of contests, no redshirting and regional competition that reduces
time away from academic studies. Student-athletes are integrated on
campus and treated like all other members of the general
student-body, keeping them focused on being a student first.
NCAA Division III Web Site: http://www.ncaa.org/divisionIII
NCAA Division III "Discover/Develop/Dedicate" Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p_Xq1_CqU20
What Does NCAA Division III Athletics Have to Offer?
- Division III athletics provides a well-rounded collegiate experience that involves a balance of rigorous academics, competitive athletics, and the opportunity to pursue the multitude of other co-curricular and extra-curricular opportunities offered on Division III campuses.
- Division III playing season and eligibility standards minimize conflicts between athletics and academics, allowing student-athletes to focus on their academic programs and the achievement of a degree.
- Division III offers an intense and competitive athletics environment for student-athletes who play for the love of the game, without the obligation of an athletics scholarship.
- Division III athletics departments place special importance on the impact of athletics on the participants rather than on the spectators. The student-athlete’s experience is of paramount concern.
- Division III athletics departments are dedicated to offering broad-based programs with a high number and wide range of athletics participation opportunities for both men and women.
- Division III places primary emphasis on regional in-season and conference competition, while also offering 36 national championships annually.
- Division III affords student-athletes the opportunity to discover valuable lessons in teamwork, discipline, perseverance and leadership, which in turn make student-athletes better students and responsible citizens.
- Division III features student-athletes who are subject to the same admission standards, academic standards, housing and support services as the general student body. The integration of athletics with the larger institution enables student-athletes to experience all aspects of campus life.
Follow Your Passions and Discover Your Potential
The college experience is a time of learning and growth — a chance to follow passions and develop potential. For student-athletes in Division III, all of this happens most importantly in the classroom and through earning an academic degree. The Division III experience provides for passionate participation in a competitive athletic environment, in which student-athletes push themselves to excellence and build upon their academic success with new challenges and life skills. And student-athletes are encouraged to pursue their full passions and find their potential through a comprehensive educational experience.
The Three D's
Division III student-athletes are encouraged to pursue their interests and passions beyond the classroom and field of play…to discover themselves.
Division III institutions provide an environment that encourages student-athletes to develop into well-rounded adults. Small class sizes, the ability to participate in more than one sport, and an emphasis on participating activities outside of the classroom are all hallmarks of the Division III experience.
Division III institutions expect student-athletes to dedicate themselves to achieving their potential. Student-athletes must manage their busy schedules, keep up with class work and face the same challenges as the rest of the student-body.